Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Terror (1964)

The TerrorJust got to say after the bad print of Kansas City Confidential from this company, I was scared to get this version of The Terror on blu ray. Just like KCC, they DNRd the crap out of this. To the point you're looking at a soft picture. Maybe I am confused, but shouldn't 1080p have plenty of detail and more grain? I admit, this is the best it has looked on home video, but it definitely is not the crisp MGMHD print. Some scenes on this blu ray combo look alright, while others there is no detail. I expect the stock film Corman used to look bad, but not the studio shots. Even the close ups are fuzzy. It is over cropped at 1.85 instead of its 1.66 frame (except for the credits), but at least its anamorphic. The 5.1 sound is horrible, I suggest switching to two channel to utilize the center channel at least. For ten bucks, its not a bad buy (at least it comes with a DVD copy)...but it could've been so much better. But this will have to do until MGM puts it out on blu ray. One interesting note is the American International logo is still at the beginning....I find that interesting, since their films are released by MGM on video.

I cannot complain as others have about this transfer. It is, by far, the best representation of the film I have ever seen.

The aspect ratio fills a 16:9 screen and its sound is in 5.1 surround. I thought it sounded terrific!

Also for the first time, I was able to watch the movie all the way through. Because other transfers' images were always so blurry and the sound so muffled, it was almost like watching snow on the screen. I'd lose interest halfway through and fall asleep.

This time, though, the movie grabbed my attention. How could it not? The image and sound were both clear. Happily, I changed my mind from judging the film mediocre to just as intriguing as Roger Corman's other masterpieces, like "The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)," "The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)," "Tales of Terror (1962)," "Tower of London (1962)," "The Haunted Palace (1963)," "The Raven (1963)," "Masque of the Red Death (1964)," and "The Tomb of Ligeia (1965)." It would be awesome to have these MGM features transferred to Blu-ray!

The Fall of the House of Usher

The Pit and the Pendulum

The Fall of the House of Usher /The Pit and the Pendulum

Tales of Terror (Edgar Allan Poe's)

Tales of Terror/Twice Told Tales (Midnite Movies Double Feature)

The Haunted Palace / The Tower of London

Double Feature: The Comedy of Terrors & The Raven

The Masque of the Red Death / The Premature Burial

The Tomb of Ligeia / An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe

Buy The Terror (1964) Now

I have searched high and low for a high quality print of THE TERROR, a favorite of mine since I saw it back in 1963, but since it's in the public domain, the numerous VHS and DVD copies have ranged from bad to worse. My search is finally over, for the print in this new DVD/Blu Ray set is almost perfect. The creative and colorful use of lighting, resembling that used by Mario Bava, can now be seen in all its glory and the colors (including the famous butterscotch finale) are sharp and vivid. Although not in the original widescreen ratio, it still looks astonishingly good. For those of you unfamiliar with its history, THE TERROR was cobbled together in a few weeks by 5 different directors including the 26 year old Jack Nicholson who has the starring role. Karloff's scenes were shot in 3 days.

Be advised that while this is not an official MGM release like the other AIP Poe pictures, it is certainly the best copy of the film out there. I cannot speak about the quality of the Blu-Ray disc as I don't have a Blu-Ray player but in order to get the DVD I had to buy the combo pack. I can say that the DVD looks great on my flat screen and sounds great too. In addition to the dialogue, Ronald Stein's memorable score also comes through loud and clear. The packaging also restores the original poster art which clearly states that THE TERROR is a Boris Karloff vehicle not a Jack Nicholson one although that's how it used to be marketed in previous incarnations. In addition it's a rare opportunity to see Jack's then wife Sandra Knight in what is her best known role.

Read Best Reviews of The Terror (1964) Here

I am a fan of this movie, but think there is some flaw in the DVD copy mechanism, not Blu-Ray. I have had to return two copies to Amazon and one to DVD empire all with the same problem. The DVD sticks in the third chapter. The color and transfer were fine with me, I just wish I could watch all of this clinker

Want The Terror (1964) Discount?

A brief and to the point review to tell those waiting "Buy this set." The movie has been remastered and has Dolby 5.1. As with "Dementia 13," the company Cultra has delivered the version you have been waiting for on Blu-ray or dvd. Buy it! I have a dvdr of MGM HD version and this looks about the same to me. I will take this set over my homemade dvdr any day. Too bad Sony dragged their heels on this one and all of the rest of the "no brainer" instant sale releases!

Save 24% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment