Thursday, December 26, 2013

ARN The Knight Templar - The Complete Series (2010)

ARN The Knight Templar - The Complete SeriesAt long last,after the travesty of the heavily edited 139 minute film,and the issue,in Europe at least,of the 'Extended Edition'200 minute version,we have the 265 minute TV series.

Having now had the opportunity to view the,region free,Blu-Ray 2 disc set,I have to say it has been well worth the wait.

The picture quality,despite the Aspect Ratio being altered from the original 2.35:1 to 1.78:1,and sound quality are excellent.

I don't propose to go into the plot details,as these will be well known from reviews on the earlier released disc.

The 265 minute series is divided into 6 episodes which are used to excellent effect to not only detail the logical progression of the lives of Arn,and Cecilia,but also provide depth to other strands of the storyline.

The extra run time provides greater depth to ancilliary characters,and to their portrayal by the uniformly excellent supporting cast.

Cecilia is played by Sofia Helin who is so superb as Saga Noren in the thoroughly recommended series 'Broen'('The Bridge').

Joakim Natterqvist is excellent as Arn.

The director,Peter Flinth is to be commended for this full length version which sustains the viewer's attention throughout.

All credit to the Cinematogapher,Eric Kress,to Tuomas Kantilinen for his original music score,and last,but not least,to Hans Gunnarsson for a really intelligent screenplay which does justice to the novels of Jan Guillou.

This full length version is definitely the one to buy,and is thoroughly recommended.

I had the unsubtitles Swedish releases, and the first American releasewhich I was disappointed in because the deletion of background material in the compilation.

This new release is AWESOME!!!!

A must have for Arn fans and those of Kingdom of Heaven!

Buy ARN The Knight Templar - The Complete Series (2010) Now

Much better then the movie, glad I ran into this while I was scanning amazon. I saw the movie a year or so ago on Netflix, but it doesn't compare to the series and plan to order the books soon as well.

Read Best Reviews of ARN The Knight Templar - The Complete Series (2010) Here

Wow, what a great movie/series. Mini-series would seem to be the appropriate term. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before. Thank you Amazon for having such an extensive collection! Usually I just ignore their suggestions. Sure glad I didn't this time.

This little Scandanavian gem blew me away with its storyline, acting and cinematography. I love it when a movie is both entertaining and educational. After watching it I had to hit wikipedia and learn more about the subject matter because it was so interesting. Arn of course is a fictional character used to tell the story while actual history unfolds around him.

Anyway, the story begins in 12th century Sweden with our hero Arn as a boy. We see dynastic feuding between his clan (the Folkung) and the evil Sverkers amid the snowy Swedish landscape. We follow him as he learns both the spiritual and martial arts. He finds love, then has it taken from him. As penance he travels to the Holy Land where he becomes a respected and feared Knight Templar. He protects the pilgrims and fights the Arabs. Then he comes back home to fight injustice and reclaim his love.

This is obviously just a short summary that does no justice to the story. Its got everything: battles, love, loss, redemption and Swedish! Its such a fun language to listen to. Subtitles are provided for those of us who don't speak it. This was a big budget undertaking for the Swedish film industry, and I think it outdoes anything Hollywood has made for a long time in this genre. If you enjoy crusader/medieval films you will love this one, and will learn many things about this period of Swedish history(I know I did).

It was certainly a worthwhile addition to my movie library and would be to yours as well.

Want ARN The Knight Templar - The Complete Series (2010) Discount?

This movie is based on my favorite trilogy, and now, seeing it in its entirety, I love it. I watched the two hour version when it was first released, with the subtitles only in Arabic (I was stationed in Iraq at the time). And even though I could only understand short parts where English was spoken, like when Arn was in the Holy Land, I still managed to partially follow the story. At least enough so that I bought and read the books. Two years later it was released in the US with English subtitles. I picked it up the day it was released. But after having read the books a realized a lot of the story was missing. It was still good. Like I said, I watch in Arabic my first time and was captivated, even though I didn't understand what was being said for most of it.

Fast Forward to now, the entire miniseries was released in English. I re-watched it. Now, almost all of the blank spaces are filled in. There are still a few places that were modified, and some that were left out, but most of the complete trilogy is there, and definitely worth watching.

Arn: The Templar Knight has just replaced Shogun as my favorite mini series

Save 47% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment