Tuesday, November 5, 2013

American Reunion (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) (2012)

American ReunionJust got back from a sneak preview of this and I LOVED it.

If you liked American Pie and it's first sequels (and their raunch level), you will really enjoy this great return from the original cast.

The Class of 1999 gets together for their 13th year reunion (really? 13th? well, that's not going to spoil the rest of the movie) and we get to catch up with what life after high school is like for everyone. For the most part, everyone's personalities are the same, and the writers and actors did a great job of projecting those characters into adulthood. Although projecting an older Stifler still doesn't seem like "adulthood..."

I don't want to give away any of the jokes, but this was a really funny movie.... funnier than I expected, to be honest. And not only will the audience be consistently laughing out loud, but viewers will also feel an unexpected nostalgia in watching.

As I said, I did expect it to be funny, but this movie is MUCH better than I expected.

As with other crude comedies, this will probably play slightly better in the theaters, because of audience reactions, but this is a wonderful return from the cast, and is very well written and directed.

Go see this movie!

When "American Pie" came out in 1999 it was a box office smash. It was a movie that cost $10 million and banked over $235 million. That was enough to spawn two legit sequels and two not-so-legit sequels. The two legit sequels, "American Pie 2" & "American Wedding", in my opinion, failed to capture the magic of the first movie. "American Pie" was about high school kids, teen angst and sexual exploration but the thing that put it over the top was the honesty and truthfulness behind it. They weren't afraid to tackle taboo subjects, but they did it with honesty. The sequels relied too heavily on the angst and gross out jokes.

Another thing "American Pie" did was make stars out of Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Alyson Hannigan, Shannon Elizabeth, Tara Reid and Seann William Scott. All of them rose to quick fame and some of them, Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother), have managed to hang onto that fame or increase it. Some of them have fallen right off the map, so it was a perfect time for a sequel and a return of the old cast. They are all back and sure, they all needed career boosts, but they also came back for good reason. The script for "American Reunion" is better and the audience that came to the original movie grew to love the characters.

There are jokes that are rehashed from the original and the raunchy nature of the films is completely intact, but more importantly the writers remembered the truth and honesty that pushed "American Pie" over the hump. Of course the laughs were important as well.

The best part about "American Reunion" is that they gave veteran actor and SCTV alum, Eugene Levy (Splash, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show), a big part in this one. Having been a widow for the past three years, he's content with his Sudoku and nights at home alone until his son returns for his 13-year class reunion. Once out of the house, he steals the show.

"American Reunion", much like the entire series, isn't for everyone. It is offensive and at times gross, but at the same time it manages to be poignant and truthful. It is an entertaining film with all the characters returning 13-years later in real life as well. We all need our friends and if you were invested in the characters 13-years ago, you won't want to miss this either.

Buy American Reunion (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) (2012) Now

I am going to repeat the title of this review. I don't care what anyone says, I love the American Pie movies. Not the crappy, straight to DVD portions of it, but 1, 2, American Wedding and this little gem. Despite the gross-out gags and gratuitous nudity, the American Pie franchise is actually quite sweet and a very conservative heart beats underneath. Good films versus great ones usually work out that way. You think its about one thing, and it surprises you with depth. When I first saw American Pie, I didn't want to go, thinking it would just be another vapid, teenage sex comedy. I was dragged kicking and screaming (I wanted to see The Haunting) and it turned out to be a gem. The other films have continued this funny but deep trend. If you can handle it, I would suggest this film.

Read Best Reviews of American Reunion (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) (2012) Here

Well, I am 25 now, and for awhile I've been struggling with some feelings concerning the things I used to like not being relative or popular anymore, moving onto new hobbies and leaving other things I was constantly into behind, having a broader view on many different subjects, having different opinions on things that I used to feel a certain way about, etc. To put it mildly, I am growing up. I've realized it's important to hold onto things from your past, but you also have to be ready, both feet planted on the ground and facing forward, for the future and what it brings as life continuously changes. To live in the past is death, and I feel that this movie perfectly sums up my feelings and gives them a voice.

I was expecting way more off color jokes, but this movie was SURPRISINGLY deep to me. If you are a warm blooded male, you can remember a time when chasing women was a main reason for living at one point...which has pretty much been the backbone of the American Trilogy...Hey, Stiffler and Finch, were all about Cadence in "American Wedding" despite Jim and Michelle tying the note being the big deal in that film. But here the tone is DRASTICALLY changed. The boys are still themselves, but older. New challenges arise, as they do with any grown man who is heading into adulthood and away from the care-free days of being a teenager or young adult in their early 20's.

Also, Jim's mom being dead (I hope I didn't spoil this, but I assume we all saw the previews) and the challenges faced by Jim's father, Noah, in moving on also struck a cord with me ( I lost my mother this year) and gave this film a "REAL" feeling. So we not only saw, young thirty somethings dealing with the loss of youth and the expectations of adulthood, but we also witnessed an elderly man recovering from the heart break of losing the love of his life and the mother of his son. (SOMETHING ANY MARRIED PERSON WHO STICKS IT OUT UNTIL THE END WILL UNFORTUNATELY COME TO ONE DAY)

Most of all, I think the challenges faced by the boys (I mean, men) in their marriages and dealing with their relationships struck the deepest with me because they were authentic problems I think all adult males will run into some of them, at some point in their lives. How they were all handled though, came off as beautiful to me. Watch Vicki's and Kevin's scene at the actual reunion, towards the end of the film, and tell me you don't feel your heart get tugged at a smidge, if not a lot, at the dialogue and how it's finalized.

Keep an open mind and you will enjoy this. When I was young...The adults I saw in their 20's and 30's were "The Real Adults" to me. Anyone over that, was an "old person." Well, funny how things work out. I am sure kids now look up to me as "A real adult" and my father, uncles, and their friends are now "The Old people," when they used to be "The real adults"...funny how things change, but still stay the same overall...and that's the perfect way to describe this film. The tone is EXTREMELY different, but the characters are still the same, and still extremely enjoyable. As one character said in the film to another (I think it was Choir chick to Chris)..."You are so different, but you are still the same."

If you are going to see 1 movie in theaters for a long time, make it this one. Thanks for reading, and maybe bring some kleenex, if you are emotionally mature and inclined to being moved by well done movies.

Want American Reunion (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) (2012) Discount?

To me this movie was flat out hilarious. I laughed more in this movie than I have in a long time. Far exceeded my expectations.

Save 52% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment