Friday, October 10, 2014

A Perfect Getaway (Unrated Director's Cut) (2009)

A Perfect Getaway"I'm just difficult to kill, I guess..." as soon as one of the main characters of A Perfect Getaway utters these words, you KNOW someone will try to prove him wrong. And they DO (try ;o) ). The story seems simple at first: a couple is honeymooning in Hawaii, while news spreads thru the Islands of a brutal murder of another newlywed couple. The suspected murderers, a man and a woman, are still at large and likely still in Hawaii. As our city-dwellers hike thru the Park, alone and out of their element, can they trust the strangers with whom they inevitably cross paths? (OF COURSE, NOT!) And that's when an interesting twist takes this story from predictable to... well... no spoilers here! ;o)

I did not have high hopes for this flick...I went to see it mainly because I have a secret crush on Milla Jovovich (if I were a lesbian, Milla and Mariska Hargitay from Law and Order would be my dream dates ;-P...). Was the film perfect? No. Nonetheless, to my utmost surprise, I enjoyed this thriller far more then I did many supposed "blockbusters" this year. It had some laughs, but was also quite unnerving, tense, and creepy with a light sprinkling of gore: everything a good thriller should have on offer. There were signs from the audience that I was not alone in my enjoyment. However, the film did develop its creep factor slowly as the initial 45 minutes were devoted mainly to character development. The story needed time before it graduated from "fluff" to "nail biter". It worked for me. In the end, I felt the super plot twist more then made up for the wait!

Two names are worth mentioning (in addition to Jovovich): it was the first time I saw Steve Zahn competently playing a complex "grown up" character, a role totally different from the usual "doofus" types he seems to favour. Also, Timothy Olyphant surprised me with his performance. His acting skills often leave a lot to desire. Not here. He was PERFECT as the perennially confident and "difficult to kill" owner of a metal plate in his head...

PS: David Twohy, writer/director, also directed Pitch Black. Watch the chase scene at the end of A Perfect Getaway. It is identical in style to one of the chase scenes in Pitch Black...

I have watched this movie 4 times now and always catch something I missed the previous time.

When I heard there was a twist I guessed it just by watching the Trailer.

That being said ,it didn't matter it was still a great action film.Nick played by Timothy Olyphant being the stand out with the most interesting character. His famous line "Outstanding" is priceless as is his girlfriend Gina played by Kiele Sanchez's "WooptiTa".Whether they're catching and gutting wild goats for dinner or taking a relaxing nude swim under the waterfall while sharing Nick's wild stories of survival that sound like they could be from an Indiana Jones movie to Nick pretending to leave his drink in a jewelery store so he can go back and buy an engagement ring for Gina,I fell in love with them.

A first rate thriller with a first rate cast,Mila Jovovitch always shines and Steve Zahn is cast against type but pulls it off really well.I think the reason I am able to watch this movie so many times and not get bored or it become mundane, is because I feel as I made a friend in a couple of the characters and want to revisit them and this of course is the only way for me to achieve this.

The battle for survival at the end of the movie is edge of your seat tense and exciting.Even if you guess the twist there are still some surprises they pull out,so just when you think you know how it will end ,you don't.

All in all a winner for start to finish.

Buy A Perfect Getaway (Unrated Director's Cut) (2009) Now

At first I was worried about the gore level (not for me, for the rest of the audience) as hinted at by other reviews, but it's really minimal. And this is a fun thrill ride of a film, with a doozy of a twist. I guessed it halfway through, but you might enjoy it more if you don't and even if you do, the exposition is still interesting. Likeable characters you can root for, a decent script, better acting than you might expect, a twisted plot and great action towards the end make this a movie to enjoy.

Read Best Reviews of A Perfect Getaway (Unrated Director's Cut) (2009) Here

Beautiful locations highlight this modern "whodunit". With a good cast and this kind of scenery, you can't go wrong. I like this movie a lot, but I figured out "whodunit" about 30 minutes in to the film.....although I wasn't completely sure for another 10 minutes, so it held my interest because the cast was fun to watch. It's not the best film of this nature, but it is certainly worth seeing. It's kinda like a thriller romance film! :-D

Want A Perfect Getaway (Unrated Director's Cut) (2009) Discount?

Being that I like Tim Olyphant I put this on my list and I'm glad I did! The movie moves slowly to build the suspense of who the murderers are. It introduces several couples that you think might fit the bill then at the end, whoa! It kept me guessing and changing my mind and even after the movie was over I kept going over some scene's! My husband and I really enjoyed this one!

Save 47% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment