Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The War at Home (1996)

The War at HomeThis movie blows me away! Martin Sheen and Kathy Bates, (my favorite actress,) both play roles totally unexpected and suprising as husband and wife.

The acting was believable of all characters, and it really makes you stop and think about the horrors that our soldiers had to endure in Vietnam, God bless them! This is a wake up call addressing our need to honor our vetrans and their families.

I highly reccommend this flick!!!

I first saw _The War At Home_ by accident on television. I was about 16 at the time. I loved it mainly because I thought it was a true story, since I had turned it on after the first 15 minutes & missed the opening voice-over. (Just to clarify: five million Americans served in Vietnam over the course of that long war, therefore a good chance exists the events in this movie happened to thousands of young vets--so I'm hesitant to call it FICTIONAL)

Watching it four years later, I felt very sad at the end. Which I actually DIDN'T feel the first time I saw it. The characters were both likeable & unlikeable; I love a movie where you can resent one character you've known all of two hours, or be on the verge of tears when another is facing a difficult time.

Bob seemingly acknowledges his son has changed for the worse when he gives his "draft card speech" at the Thanksgiving day table, but he does nothing to help Jeremy. At the same time, Karen is a psych student, but she can be a little too harsh on Jeremy in certain moments. But the characters are humans, they make mistakes.

The only real problem I had was with the ending voice-over. It gave too much away. I would have been happier wondering what became of Jeremy. (I wonder why they had Karen, of all the characters, doing the voice overs?) Still, it's worth 5 stars.

Buy The War at Home (1996) Now

Excellent movie.......Worth seeing over and over.....One of the most underated films of our time.

Read Best Reviews of The War at Home (1996) Here

As a peace time veteran I have always been interested in the elements that made up the Vietnam war. No movie spoke to me more than Born on the Fourth of July because it explored the naive patriotism so often held by the young and inexperienced (such as I) and the disillusionment born of societal apathy and disdain as well as the pathetic way our vets are 'cared for' and utterly disregarded by the military itself. That's not an endorsement of the Vietnam war itself but merely a commentary on the condition of our so underappreciated veterans.

That being said 'The War at Home' explores (quite adeptly if I might add) many of the psychological effects suffered by those brave men and women who so gallantly served in addition to the heartache and responsibility of the families involved.

It's a masterful work. Unfortunately most who have never served or put their own well being on the line for a cause they believe in can not even begin to understand or empathize with the inner plight of the Vietnam veteran.

A must see film!

Want The War at Home (1996) Discount?

I just watched this movie on TV and all I can say is wow. The characters all play out like real family members. Kathy Bates is just brilliant in her role as the mother. I think there are many families who can relate to these people. I don't know how anybody can watch this movie and not think about our troops coming home from Iraq.

Save 56% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment