Sunday, September 14, 2014

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (1992)

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1I've always been a big fan of the Tenchi Muyo cosmos (can't really say world or universe cause that still wouldn't encompass all the different story lines).

I can say without a doubt this very high on my list to purchase. I've watched the fansubs multiple times. The storyline is engaging, the characters are deep and well modeled. The episodes are a satisfying 40 minutes long.

I my only problem is that 130$ (10$ per episode) for both boxes seems to be rather steep. At 70$ I would snatch the series up, but for now, I'll wait and bide my time till the prices drop.

The Thing that this series has linked with tenchi muyo is the name and one or two character references from the other series otherwise its pretty much a stand alone series. I also believe that the animation in this series is the best out of all of the Tenchi series. I wish they wouldn't have split the series up like they did but you can't ask for everything.

Buy Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (1992) Now

I'll be the first to say this is a great series. However, Funimation's translation contained a number of issues I found extremely frustrating. There weren't too many real errors, but some of the translation choices were annoying or worse. For instance, Funimation sometimes seems to want to overemphasize genre in their translation, made obvious here with their obsessive insertion of "mecha" wherever they think they can get away with it. "Holy Armor" suddenly becomes "Sacred Mechanoid", and "Holy Knight" turns into "Sacred Mechamaster", and largely unrelated devices like Wahan's robot are given almost identical names. The ultimate result to me was to make a lot of things sound silly.

What was far worse was the series description. Where in the world did these people get the idea of the conflicts being "intergalactic"? This'd be the first intergalactic battle I've seen that takes place entirely on one planet, involving people who don't appear to have ever even heard of space flight, with one single boy from another dimension(or something) stranded there whose civilization has barely managed to reach their moon. I've often felt that Funimation's descriptions and advertisements went a little overboard emphasizing specific aspects they thought would sell (in particular focusing entirely on fanservice regardless of the story that goes along with it), showing no interest in anything past the obvious, but this's the first time they seemed to create a description that makes up a completely different story altogether.

Read Best Reviews of Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (1992) Here

Kenshi Masaki is the half brother of Tenchi Masaki. Somehow he was summoned to another planet called Geminar. He doen't know why or how he got there though. Fortunately, this planet is mostly inhabited by hot chicks that are all crazy about Kenshi. Kenshi enters a school for young mecha pilots. Part 1 of this series mainly covers his daily life and develops his relationship with the girls at the school. There is, however, trouble brewing on Geminar. A mysterious group has plans that threaten the people of Geminar, and somehow, Kenshi fits into their plan.

I expected a little more action from this series, because of the title, "War On Geminar". I think that the war actually starts in part 2. There are some major differences with this series and the original Tenchi Muyo series that this spins off of. The characters are the main difference. They are all good though. This set has 7-50 minute episodes. So it is actually a long as a 26-episode series if you include part 2. The situations are more suggestive than the original series, but there isn't any nudity. I think it should be rated PG-13, but whatever. The animation, voice acting and soundtrack are all top notch; as you probably expected from the Tenchi franchise. Although different from what I expected, this series did entertain me. I hope it picks up a bit in part 2, and I wish that it was a little cheaper. Other than those 2 little details, I think this is a good buy. If you like the older Tenchi series, you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Want Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (1992) Discount?

I first saw this series at an anime convention a few years back and was excited to see it picked up for official release on Blu-Ray/DVD in North America. I do have a few complaints. The biggest being that the audio mix seemed a bit off. The dialog and music tracks seemed a bit loud, while the sound effects seemed muted. I felt like I was watching the commentary of the episode with all of the action taking place in another room. I tried both the Blu-Ray version and the DVD on different players and audio receivers with the same results. The English soundtrack was a little better. I could hear most of the low range heavy explosions, but the midrange sound effects like gunfire and sword on sword clashing were still not very loud.

I mostly watched it in Japanese, but while comparing the soundtracks, I did notice that some of the English voice actors seemed to ad-lib or babble a bit, like they needed to fill up every bit of screen time with dialog. And some of the terms seemed overly translated like "Sacred Mechamaster" instead of Seikishi. Despite these things, I still enjoyed watching this anime again, and look forward to the second volume, where story plot picks up and the action gets more intense.

Save 8% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment