Saturday, September 6, 2014

A Monster In Paris (Blu-Ray + 3-D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy) (2011)

A Monster In ParisWhen I first saw clips of this movie on YouTube, including the by-now-famous song "La Siene," I was so impressed that I immediately began scouring the Internet for a US release date for the movie. When I learned there were no plans for a US release, I was rather disappointed, but I wouldn't let that deter me from seeing this movie. In the end, I splurged and purchased two copies of the DVD (one for myself, one for our local library) from Amazon's Canadian store.

Now seeing that there's an upcoming US DVD release, I'm kicking myself for not being more patient, but I don't regret having purchased this. It's a beautiful movie, and while maybe not quite Pixar quality it's adorable and charming in its own right.

"A Monster In Paris" takes place in 1910 Paris, during the flooding of the Siene river, and focuses on a short, shy theater worker named Emile and his eccentric, bombastic friend Raoul, a delivery man who fancies himself an inventor. While dropping off a package at a scientist's home, the two break into his laboratory and accidentally create the titular monster -a seven-foot-tall, anthromorphic flea who can only communicate via singing. Said "monster" is taken in by Lucille, a nightclub singer who names him Francoer and disguises him as a musician, and soon it falls on her, Emile, and Raoul to protect him from a ruthless comissioner who will stop at nothing to rid Paris of the creature.

While the animation of "A Monster In Paris" isn't quite Pixar quality, I would put it on par with a Dreamworks movie, and it's certainly a cut above the animation of "Ice Age" and "Despicable Me." The scenery shots of early 20th century Paris are gorgeous, and I never once saw a lapse in animation quality that was significant enough to jar me out of the story. And the characters, with the exception of the appropriately villainous commissioner, are likable and quirky, with Francoer himself stealing the show -who knew a giant flea could be so adorable? The story of a group of people hiding a not-so-threatening monster from the authorities might not be the most original one in the world, but it doesn't seem old and tired here -the new setting and the characters kept it from feeling stale.

By far the best feature in this movie is the music. I LOVE the music. Renowned French singers Vanessa Paradis and M provide the vocals, and do a magnificent job. It was a song that led me to find and fall in love with this movie, and the music that remains the best part for me.

I watched this movie in the original French, with English subtitles (I always prefer to watch a movie in its original language), so I can't comment on the English dub. I'll leave that for another reviewer. UPDATE AS OF 1/28/13: I recently re-watched this movie, this time in English. The English dub is passable, but I highly prefer the French version. The French voices sound more natural, and M makes a better voice for the monster than Sean Lennon.

Wonderful movie, with gorgeous music and little to no adult humor or innuendo. I would recommend it for children 5 and older (due to some scary scenes) and anyone who loves musicals, animated films, or even lighthearted monster movies.

A Monster In Paris (Un Monstre à Paris) is a 2011 French animated film by former DreamWorks animator Bibo Bergeron (director of Road to El Dorado, and more embarrassingly, SharkTale). Yes, that's right, 2011. The film first released theatrically in France in October 2011, and then in the United Kingdom with the English dub in January 2012.

In April of 2013, OVER 16 MONTHS LATER, the United States is just now receiving an official release.

Which is utterly baffling, considering that even before the film's French release, A Monster In Paris went viral and gathered a cult following on the internet, with a large percentage of these fans American (myself included), due to the film's beautiful animation and music.

The music in this film is by Matthieu Chedid, better known by his stage name -M-. I became a fan of -Mand his music through A Monster In Paris. I now own three of -M-'s albums, having imported the CDs from France.

So you can imagine my disappointment when after over a year of waiting, I finally receive my official American release of A Monster In Paris on Blu-Ray/DVD, only to discover the original French language track is not included.

While I have nothing against the English dub, in fact the English versions of the songs are quite well done, the English songs swap out -Mfor Sean Lennon.

Again, nothing against Sean Lennon, he does a fine job with performing the songs in English, but having become a fan of -M-'s music through this film I want to watch the version with -Mperforming.

I ideally hoped to be able to watch this film in its original French with English subtitles, which I expect is how many others will want to view the film as well. Yet even though including the French language track in addition to the English dub and English subtitles seems like a no-brainer, Shout! Factory's failure to include such a simple but incredibly important feature is not only disappointing, but after a 16 month wait, is also unbelievably frustrating. I will without a doubt be sending in a complaint to Shout! Factory regarding the absence of the French language track, and I advise if you were also expecting to be able to watch the film in its original French with English subtitles, you do the same.

I love A Monster In Paris. It is an absolutely wonderful film that I highly recommend to anyone who loves animation, but because of Shout! Factory's negligence, I can only advise purchasing the American release of the film if you are fine with only the English dub (hence the 3-star rating). While the English dub is alright, I personally believe the ideal experience of this film should be in its original French with English subtitles. Unfortunately, the only way of doing this appears to be through importing the French Blu-Ray/DVD and then downloading English subtitles online, as the French Blu-Ray/DVD does not include English subtitles. Keep in mind however that due to region coding, the French Blu-Ray/DVD WILL NOT PLAY on most American Blu-Ray/DVD players. It will only play on a region free Blu-Ray/DVD player or a computer with region decoding software.

UPDATE: I've been informed that the Canadian DVD is multilingual, containing both the French and English tracks with English subtitles. Since Canadian DVDs are also Region 1, they WILL PLAY on most American DVD players. So importing a Canadian DVD would be a more simple, viable option for those who want to watch the film in its original French with English subtitles. Sadly for those of us who like our animation in high definition, there is no Canadian Blu-Ray, only a DVD. Importing the French Blu-Ray, finding a method of bypassing the region coding and then downloading subtitles still seems to be the only way of watching the film on Blu-Ray in French with subtitles.

Buy A Monster In Paris (Blu-Ray + 3-D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy) (2011) Now

I am a French teacher and I can't wait to use this movie as a culmination of our study of Paris (I teach younger children). Vanessa Paradis has an angelic quality to her singing that fits this role perfectly. I appreciate the innocent storyline, there are no adult references or innuendo as there are in so many Disney movies.

Read Best Reviews of A Monster In Paris (Blu-Ray + 3-D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy) (2011) Here

Why don't more people know about this movie?!? I didn't know what to expect when I first heard about it. A movie about a singing giant flea in Paris? Not exactly a crowd bringer that's for sure. But if Pixar has thought me anything, it's to not underestimate a seemingly ridiculous concept. Plus I love animation and fell in love with the design of the female lead ♥Lucille♥, so I gave it a shot.

The movie is fun to watch and an absolute joy to listen to. The music is phenomenal, mixing both the english and french languages. The animation is on par with anything from Dreamworks or Pixar and the characters, specifically ♥Lucille♥ and Francoeur (the flea) are cute and at times mesmerizing.

If you're hunting for a new animated movie that's very easy on the eyes (and ears), give this one a go.

Want A Monster In Paris (Blu-Ray + 3-D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy) (2011) Discount?

The story is good, the animation is good but the Music will melt your heart.

This little movie will make the big studios very jealous. Who knew that the story about a giant singing , guitar playing FLEA would be good. Its not perfect, but by the end of the movie you will be satisfied.

Save 20% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment