Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Life in Ruins (2009)

My Life in RuinsWhy are there so many critics in this world? This is a sweet, fun movie that opened up a chance for many to see places in Greece that can not be filmed for commercial reasons. Kudos to Nia for gaining approval to film in such fantastic places as Delphi, Olympia and at the Acropolis. This is the perfect movie for a light, summer night or for when you just need a "pick me up." See for yourself. Greece is a magical place and it was a delight to see it on the big screen. Nia is charming on and off screen and I think she is terrific. You go girl!

The 2009 release 'My Life in Ruins' turned out to be a totally unexpected surprise. The scenery is magnificent, the storyline and dialogue sharp and the cast of uniquely quirky characters will keep you throughly entertained from beginning to end. The budding romance between tour guide Georgia (Nia Vardalos) and bus driver Nico (Alistair McGowan) was really quite charming and tourist and self-designated funny man Irv (Richard Dreyfuss) was clearly the secret ingredient that made it all work so well.

I particularly enjoyed the way the film incorporated an ongoing subtext suggesting that the Greek Gods may be subtly interacting with the tour and tourists. It was just the right touch of whimsy and depth to supply an added dimension to this delightful romantic comedy.

Buy My Life in Ruins (2009) Now

I saw this movie a few weeks ago at the theater. I found it very entertaining and informative. It took me to places in Greece that I would love to visit. Nia is funny, sexy and believable. In the year 2000 I went on a tourist bus tour of Europe and this movie surely brought back many fond memories. Every bus tour includes many diverse characters, with a believable love story, this makes it very entertaining. I have recommended this movie to all my friends.They should own it.The filming is exquisite showing the sites of Greece like a travelogue.I left the theater feeling as I had been thoroughly entertained.

Read Best Reviews of My Life in Ruins (2009) Here

My wife and I missed this great movie when it came out in theaters in 2009 probably because it did not have a very large promo budget compared to the high tech blockbusters but we caught it by chance on a flight home from Europe this summer and I immediately ordered the DVD. With a talented international cast including Richard Dreyfuss this movie optimizes both the humorous and serious side of life. The chemistry between all of the characters is just wonderful and relies on real human interactions combined with the spectacular scenery of Greece rather than special effects how often do you see that these days? Noting some of the negative comments it is admittedly something of an 'inside joke' to those who are into travel and there are a few Greek tourist clichés and other stereotypes. However all of the jibes are sensitively done, by and large accurate to my experience, and will resonate with anyone who has ever toured Greece 'economy' class! I would hope that this film gets at lease a nod at Oscar time this year, and in any event would recommend it for any movie collection as a feel good / date movie.

Want My Life in Ruins (2009) Discount?

what FUN! this is a romantic comedy that is not just about a boy and girl getting together: it is an ensemble piece about the joys of being true to who one is. nia vardalos never looked better and her wardrobe, for a change, is complimentary; acting chops are better tuned, as well. the on-screen chemistry between nia and alexis georgoulis is combustible: no wonder the greek tabloids touted an off-screen romance between the two; and did everything they could to prove it, too. casting directors should cast georgoulis in more flicks in this country; he's a real screen presence. the rest of the ensemble are pitch-perfect; what a joy to watch them all.

yes, this flick is full of stereotypes; what romantic comedy isn't? afterall, stereotypes are stereotypes because they are recognizable characters from time immemorial: we KNOW these people. so, drop your defenses, relax, and enjoy this romp through greece.

Save 24% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment