Friday, July 11, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008)

The Most Wonderful Time of the YearThe movie starts with introducing us to a lovable cop who enjoys beating up burglars. Then it takes you to meet Jennifer, a single mom, and her darling son, as he asks (paraphrased) "How can Santa be real? It isn't possible! But I do want to believe!" Jennifer does her best to answer her sons questions, but struggles to find the right answers, as she herself does not like Christmas.

Then you meet Morgan, a nomad. He usually spends his time sleeping on the floors at the airport until by chance, he meets the cop. The two become fast friends and pull a con on one of the workers at the airport. The worker upgrades them to first class on the plane. When the friends arrive in Chicago, Morgan heads off too board his next plane only to find that the airport in Denver, where he is headed, is closed down because of a snowstorm. So, reluctant to let a stranger into her home, Jennifer finally invites Morgan to stay with her, her uncle (the cop), and her son.

Filled with laughter, awkward moments, apologies, and break ups, this movie is a wonderful tale that teaches you to love the little things in life and to not let all the preperation for Christmas keep you from enjoying the holiday's season. The movie was a real tear jerker nearing the end, so have your tissue box ready!

This film is great and one I will be watching for years to come. Henry Winkler is fabulous in the role as the retired cop...and man oh man, Warren Christie is a great actor and beautiful to boot. Only one thing to watch for-(possible spoiler here) and that is...there is alot of talk of the reality of Santa and the little boy fearful of him not being "real" due to school kids. A large part of the plot, for those of us with young kids, makes it pretty clear that someone other than Santa is coming on Christmas Eve. The movie eventually leads the adults to fabricate Santa arriving to reassure the boy of Santa's existence and even the gift he asked Santa for is clearly hunted for and purchased by the Mom (during part of hysterical mishaps in the film) and left from Santa Christmas morning. I love the film 100%, I love the message behind it and the acting is fantasticbut I am sad that I cannot watch it with my young kids. In five minutes, I was already turning it off and trying to explain a scene away...but that doesn't stop me from watching it after they go to bed!!

Buy The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008) Now

I really enjoyed this movie when I saw it on tv. I was a little uncomfortable with the two unnecessary towel scenes but they were tastefully enough done that I could overlook it. I was thrilled to see it was on dvd and bought a copy immediately. Sometimes it's cool when they add deleted scenes back into the movie. Sometimes not. This DVD release had one of each instance. There's an added car scene with Jen and Morgan after they pick up the bike that was kind of sweet. The other added scene was of a definitely naked Jen getting into the shower. You don't see anything except her bare back (extending very low down her back) but unlike the towel scene where one could assume for filming she was actually wearing a strapless bathing suit, the shower scene is quite a bit more revealing and really completely unnecessary. I know there are many who will think I'm being silly but had I known about the shower scene I would not have purchased this dvd. This review is more to warn people like me. The rest of you, I'm sure will enjoy the movie and be glad it was released so quickly onto DVD.

Read Best Reviews of The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008) Here

I really like Christmas movies. Why? Because they all end "happily ever after." After loosing my wife of 30+ years to cancer eight years ago, I don't need drama, I need happiness. This movie has it all. The "Fonz" is great Brooke Burns is beautiful, it moves right along, and ends happily ever after.

Another great addition to my survivor package for the Holidays.

noelvm

Want The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008) Discount?

I TIVOed this movie last year (December 24, 2008 to be exact) and didn't delete it until I purchased this DVD. Although the story is somewhat predictable, the scenes are played out with tenderness, sensitivity and yes, humor. Henry Winkler is wonderful as Uncle Ralph, the devoted father-figure to single mother, Jennifer Cullen (Brooke Burns). When Ralph, on his way to spend Christmas with his niece, runs into free-spirit wanderer, Morgan Derby (Warren Christie)at the airport, the two develop an immediate friendship. When Morgan's flight to Denver is cancelled, well, let's just say that's where the fun begins as Uncle Ralph talks Jennifer into letting Morgan stay at her house until another flight can be scheduled. The film's description decribes Jennifer as a "Scroogette", but I feel that is a bit of an overstatement. She is happy enough and tries hard to get in the spirit of the season...but she is overwhelmed with the "shoulds" and "musts" that are certain to sabotage her holiday cheer. To make matters worse she is dating a man whose pretentious and irritating demeanor are obvious to Uncle Ralph, who, by the way, makes no bones in expressing how he feels. The film unfolds with Morgan alternately helping and ticking off Jennifer, who feels his presence in the house "looks bad". Jennifer's son, Brian, forges a bond with Morgan and is upset when Christmas morning finds Morgan gone (I won't spoil your viewing experience by revealing the details). The film has a happy ending, though. Let's just say that Uncle Ralph has the satisfaction of knowing that he has played his cards quite well indeed! This is a lovely film...romance, sweetness and humor all rolled up into one little holiday package. I recommend this film to anyone who loves Christmas and the miracles it brings.

Save 25% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment