Monday, June 23, 2014

Viva Las Vegas (2007)

Viva Las VegasOn the 25th anniversay of Elvis' passing, I thought I'd watch one of his films...this is perhaps his best, and in pairing him with Ann-Margret, he met his match. She sizzles in the musical numbers, and sometimes outshines the King when they're on-screen together.

Don't expect a plot or much in the way of dialogue, as everything revolves around the songs. The standouts are the title song, "Come On, Everybody", "What'd I Say", and "Appreciation"...but all of them are good, and the other numbers are: "The Lady Loves Me", "I Need Someone to Lean On", "Today, Tomorrow, and Forever", "My Rival", and "If You Think I Don't Need You".

The choreography by David Winters (who played A-Rab in the "West Side Story" film) is quite difficult, and almost awkward, with many direction changes, in Ann-Margret's "Appreciation" number (if you watch closely, you'll notice there's a switch to ballet slippers instead of high heels for a short time), but she manages all the dance numbers well, with sparkle and pizazz, and her singing is excellent.

The costume department did a good job, putting Elvis into a lot of very becoming red and black togs, and Ann-Margret's 101 outfits cling to every curve.

The car race footage in the finale is outstanding, and car aficionados will find a lot to like in this film as well as the music.

This was a much appreciated gift, and one I watch when I need some brain candy. Though it's got its flaws, I'm giving it 5 stars for being pure, undiluted entertainment, served up by the Kitten and the King, both in top form, with the glitter and glitz of Las Vegas as their backdrop.

I can't say that I'm a fan of either Elvis Presley or musicals and bought this video only as an experiment in watching something 180 degrees from my norm. Having said that-and standard Hollywood boy gets girl/loses/gets again simplicity aside-this film rocks! A technicolor kitsch fest with so-bad-it's-good Vegas cheese costumes and sets, this is a truly compelling time capsule...and it has THAT song. "What'd I Say?" is one of the most entertaining, hi-energy, goofy/silly, exuberant, infectious, fun dance numbers ever filmed (you have to play it again and again to get all the detail). A lot of what shows on MTV and VH1 is such a bore by comparison. The "Viva Las Vegas" number and the car race are great too.

Buy Viva Las Vegas (2007) Now

After years of second-generation VHS releases, "Viva Las Vegas" (1964) finally can be seen in a widescreen format. This Elvis Presley-Ann Margret musical looks and sounds great on DVD and you also get the original trailer. With director George Sidney at the helm, it's easy to see why "Viva Las Vegas" is considered one of Presley's best films.

Read Best Reviews of Viva Las Vegas (2007) Here

I'm all about Elvis. I'm 24 and my room is covered in his pictures. I LOVE this movie. I think personally that it's one of his best. I could sit here and watch him sing and move and never get tired of him. My favorite scenes are 1. when he's singing "The Lady Loves Me". And 2. when he's on her dance stage singing "My Baby Loves Me". Of course also when he performs the title song. I hope all avid Elvis fans have this movie in their collection.

Want Viva Las Vegas (2007) Discount?

This is essentially a movie about two of the screen's most famous duos who never made another film due to Col. Parker's dislike of Ann-Margret and of the director having a very badly concealed crush on the actress. That said, this is one of Elvis' best films with production values more deserving of his talents. The songs are great and Ann-Margret practically steals the film. Whatta body! She just sizzles and burns her way into your memory!

Save 47% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment