Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Snow White (2012) ( Blancanieves ) ( Blancaneu )

Snow WhiteThe professional reviews for this were so ecstatic that I may have been

a bit over-hyped, and felt a twinge of disappointment in seeing it,

which is not to say I didn't quite enjoy it

Entertaining and beautifully made, this is another modern black & while

silent film, this one an adult re-telling of the Snow White myth.

There's no denying the technical virtuosity on display, and the ways

that film-maker Berger finds to update the tale to Spain in the 1920s,

center the story around bullfighting, and still stay true to the

original story are clever and sometimes very amusing.

What was missing for me was a deeper layer of emotion. I appreciated

and respected the film, but it was too much a fairy tale for me to

believe in it, yet too real for me to be carried away into a fantasy.

That said, it's good enough that I will gladly re-visit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment