Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Beaver (2011)

The BeaverAlthough I've never been a fan of Mel Gibson as an actor, producer, or person, I was drawn to see "The Beaver" by watching the fascinating movie trailer clips of Gibson playing a seriously depressed middle-aged man, as well as the associated media interviews given by Jodie Foster explaining what she was trying to achieve as director. Wow! First of all, this film is far more entertaining than the subject matter (debilitating depression) or the reviews would suggest. Even Foster who directed the film calls it "quirky" and "not a comedy". No, it's not a comedy, but there are a number of scenes in this film that made me chuckle. My favorite is a profile shot of Gibson and the Beaver puppet resting in bed after making love with Foster. A very cool and humorous shot... So you will be entertained if you are open to just following the movie as it unfolds. This is not a boring movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed almost everything about "The Beaver". It's well-written and directed, the quality of the filming is good, and I became emotionally engrossed in the main characters even though the plot is uneven in certain spots. To my surprise, I didn't even think about Mel Gibson being a troubled celebrity during the movie. As Walter the primary character, he was so convincing physically and his performance was so believable that I followed Walter's progress through the story without seeing him as Mel Gibson the person. Jodie Foster says she chose Gibson because he was perfect for the role, and she is correct. I can't think of anyone else who could pull off such a memorable performance acting mostly with a hand puppet. So my first Oscar nomination goes to Mel Gibson for playing Walter.

My second Oscar nomination goes to Jodie Foster for directing a multifaceted and creative movie that connects with the audience and entertains on many levels. And she does that smoothly while dealing with a serious subject without being preachy or making the audience feel down. I was able to watch Walter's saga of depression without getting depressed myself. Instead, I was intrigued by the characters and how they interacted. Jodie Foster certainly deserves an Academy Award for her directing skills in "The Beaver".

My remaining "half Oscar" goes to Jodie Foster and Anton Yelchin (playing the wife and angry son respectively) for their excellent supporting performances. Both of them are believable in their roles as confused and angry family members. They kept me interested in their reactions the whole movie as I watched the plot develop.

"The Beaver" is really two stories combined in one movie. The first story is about Walter's depression as the father, and the second story is about his son's personal growth as a teenager. They are both done well, although I agree with some reviewers who say the son's story intrudes too much on the primary plot of Walter's dealing with depression by using a puppet as his alter ego. A little less teenage drama would have been good, but it didn't really detract from my enjoying the movie overall.

I highly recommend "The Beaver" as a top quality film that is both thought-provoking and entertaining. When I left the theater, I knew that I had just watched a really good movie that was worth my time and money. That's a very nice feeling, and unfortunately all too rare these days...

i had been waiting to see this film for months and when it was finally released it wasn't released in my city. i traveled over an hour to see this film and was definitely not let down. both gibson and foster give outstanding performances in this dark comedy/drama. jodie foster is my favorite actress and this is the first film she has directed in 15 years. it was totally worth the time, money, and drive to see this film. will definitely be purchasing when it is released onto dvd. go see it!

Buy The Beaver (2011) Now

This is a film about a man whose marriage is collapsing and his family business is failing. He is about to commit suicide when a beaver puppet on his arm talks him out of it. This becomes his primary form of communication with all those around him. I found The Beaver to be quite enthralling with the effect the puppet had on his familial and business relationships remarkable and the performance of Mel Gibson to be outstanding. I just really liked the puppet character, the accent that was voiced for him by Gibson. The drama endured by his oldest son, with whom the relationship is strained, I felt was quite interesting. His tale doesn't distract from the Beaver storyline, but adds to it. The film is a fascinating look at how mental illness can damage a man's life and affect those around him.

Read Best Reviews of The Beaver (2011) Here

A depressed CEO of a toy company accidentally finds a way to communicate with others through a hand puppet he found in a dumpster. While his younger son and estranged wife, as well as his company's employees, welcome his change, his older son, afraid of becoming like his father, just doesn't like it.

Mel Gibson plays the depressed CEO Walter Black. Jodie Foster is his alienated wife Meredith. Anton Yelchin is Walter's elder son Porter, who writes term papers for other students for money; Jennifer Lawrence is Norah, the valedictorian who asks Porter to write a speech for her. Their budding romance is just a subplot, but seems more believable than the main story.

The film's premise about the troubled man with a hand puppet is already something hardly credible, especially when Mel Gibson's character goes through the change so quickly. When the beaver hand puppet started 'speaking' in a Cockney accent, I stopped caring. Is it an allegory or something? Is there any subtexts underlying the apparently incredible storyline? I know the hand puppet idea does not have to be psychologically valid. In "The Beaver" it serves as a plot device a device of which potential is never explored.

"The Beaver" is a drama, not a comedy. If it is a comedy, it is a dark one. We know Jodie Foster (who also directs) is not known for comedic roles. But as a drama, like in her works as director ("Little Man Tate" and "Home for the Holidays"), something is not quite right with the film, of which characters (including the "Beaver"), well-acted as they are, feel very distant. Despite the drastic thing that happens in the latter half of the story, we feels emotionally detached. Is that really necessary?

The film's uneven script does not allow us to get to know the characters. We see Mel Gibson turning in compelling performances, but we do not meet the person Walter Black. We are fascinated by his acting, not by the character's spiritual journey. The film is sincere and intelligent, and has a unique concept, but that alone is not enough to draw us into the story it tells.

Want The Beaver (2011) Discount?

"I'm The Beaver, and I'm here to save your damn life." Walter (Gibson) is in a very, very deep depression. A failed suicide attempt leads him to his last chance at recovery, a puppet called The Beaver. Disclamier #1 I will do my best to keep this review short enough to take up the whole page here. Since the 1st of the year I have reviewed over 200 movies. This is one of, if not the best movie of the year. Disclaimer #2...the extent of my personal knowledge of the real actors are what I read and I do not know them personally. Every interview I see when actors talk about the characters they play they are always in the 3rd person, trying to distance themselves as not to bring thier personal lives in to the part. This is the extremely rare movie that the baggage an actor brings with him actually helps the movie. The first line on the back of the case says "Walter, once a successful and happy family man, has hit rock bottom." You could insert the name Mel and it would make even more sense. The first movie he has made since his "Meltdown" and there is no better way to return then this one. This is the greatest job of casting in a movie since Samuel L. Jackson played "Shaft". For those that love Gibson, you will absolutly love this movie. For those that don't, I would still ask you to give this a chance. Going in knowing what he as done recently only helps give the character the dimension that it needs. His acting in this is far and away the best of his career and possibly of the year. The big problem is that because of what he has done recently this movie as a stigma put on it so don't expect any award show wins. The irony is that it is because of who he is that makes the movie great. Overall, an absolute must see. Mel Gibson is amazing in this movie, and it may make you think different of him. I easily give it an A+ (higher if I could)...A++..there!

Would I watch again? I will buy this and show it to as many people as I can.

*Also try Barney's Version & A Beautiful Mind

Save 25% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment