Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns + Digital Copy (2008)

Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns + Digital CopyShort Attention Span Summary (SASS):

1. Angela Bassett stars as a single mother of 3 kids struggling to make ends meet in inner city Chicago

2. A death in the family takes them to Georgia, where they meet the Browns

3. A quick Rick Fox jumps into the crazy clan

4. Over-the-top characters, prolonged punch lines and unnecessary family secrets lead to a predictable ending

This movie has an established talent pool of a cast, and usually they can be depended on to put the "dis" in dysfunctional, but this time the jokes fail to flow smoothly, wasting the comedic talents of Jenifer Lewis, David Mann and Frankie Faison. Tyler Perry appears briefly as his most beloved character Madea, but even this feels like an afterthought in the context of the movie.

Angela Bassett is out of place for this particular role, but excellent actress that she is, her character signifies hope for single mothers everywhere who may be feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of work, home and family.

Some good performances make for a movie with a strong message, but unfortunately it's hard to see through all the noise and confusion.

Amanda Richards, July 20, 2008

I cannot stop playing this DVD. I watched it for the first time on Christmas night and have been thinking about the Browns ever since. I went in expecting to obviously miss the presence of Madea, but I have to say that although I'm interested to know what kind of interaction she would have had with the Browns, Mr. Perry made the correct decision when he decided to give the Manns their time to rightfully shine. It's a wonderful, highly enjoyable play.

Going totally and completely out on a limb, I'm going to say that I think this is probably the best Tyler Perry play I've seen (I've seen 5 of 7, soon to be 8 with the addition of Madea Goes To Jail). To be clear, I'm not talking in terms of outright humor, because I didn't find it to be as funny as the others, but more in terms of better writing, better actors, and better subplots. It also included better singing/songs; this time I didn't fast-forward through any of the singing, which is rare for me, because I don't like musicals and random singing. (Yes, this means I hate Chicago and Mary Poppins.) My favorites would absolutely have to be Tamala Mann and Terrell Carter's solo performances and the final song in which the entire cast sang. Those are the ones I insert the DVD to play whenever I'm home, and those are the ones I find myself walking around at work singing to myself; they actually inspired me to purchase the soundtrack from tylerperry.com. I have to recommend this play to everyone I know (starting with whoever is reading this and hasn't seen it).

Buy Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns + Digital Copy (2008) Now

I think Tyler Perry should give himself more time in between movies so that he can make a great movie every single time. I liked Diary, loved Family Reunion and Why Did I Get Married. I didn't care for Daddy's Little Girls nor this movie. It wasn't horrible...I just know he can do so much better.

*** The movie seemed too rushed/hasty and there were some parts that just did not go together. I am still confused how Brenda was able to bring all of her children on limited tickets with her down South. Did I miss it? At the theatre, I had to fill in the blanks myself.

*** I wanted to see more of the Browns. I thought this movie was going to actually be like Meet the Browns the play (which I LOVE) but where were Will and Kim? Sara and LB and Millie? I mean, I know they (I love Avery, lol) and LB were in it but their roles could have been bigger. This was just like What's Done in the Dark...even down to the "Brenda, I make 25/hr," and "I told you to get an abortion,"...Needless to say, I was disappointed.

*** For a struggling mother, Angela's hair was always on point! I love Angela Bassett though. She is an excellent actress who plays this role well but could have been better with more support. Angela speaking slang, however, was a little difficult for me because I don't speak slang and I am a black woman. Plus, Angela speaking slang is just weird. Did she have to? So, is it not possible/believable?? (these are actual questions)

*** I did not like Rick Fox in this role. I don't know why. Maybe the theatre I was in messed up the audio levels but he seemed to talk too soft and low and his grin annoyed me, lol.

*** Sofia Vergara was too extra. I also know she can be better. Plus, I think Mr. Perry should have done more research on bipolar disorder to hit her character just right. I have first hand experience with the disorder and if you go off your meds, holding down a job and retaining friends is next to impossible. Perhaps she is type 2??

*** I didn't like the pimp/ho joke. It was just uncalled for. It was distasteful.

The movie wasn't horrible...I just KNOW it can be better. He just needs to give himself more time to work on them. He is doing too much at once and is gonna run himself ragged!! I love Tyler Perry and his work, however, I am not going to blindly think all of his work is excellent. It's called constructive criticism. :-)

Read Best Reviews of Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns + Digital Copy (2008) Here

This is just the same story Tyler Perry does over and over with just a different set of characters. He has another black woman who is horribly mistreated by a man only to be saved by a big muscular hunk. I'm often very unhappy with the sterotypical ways Mr. Perry portrays blacks. The ignorant banter of Mr. Brown sets us back by about 50 years. This time he threw in a loud, obnoxious Latino to add to the sterotyping. I do think I could get over that though if he would come up with a different storyline. I truly don't understand what the love for these movies is all about. They alway deal with poor mistreated woman, a very mean man, a very nice handsome man, a loud obnoxious relative or 2, and a beautiful wedding.

Want Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns + Digital Copy (2008) Discount?

This was THE BEST show that I have been able to sat down with my children and enjoy. Filled with laughter and real life circumstances with the right solution.

Save 42% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment