Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Secret Life of Bees (2008)

The Secret Life of BeesThis is the best movie I have seen in a long time. I think I had tears in my eyes through 75% of the movie. This is Dakota Fanning's best performance. Jennifer Hudson was spectacular. Queen Latifah delivered like never before. Everyone was amazing in this film. Don't waste your time renting this one because it's one to own. You really connect with the characters and the issues at hand. This is a must see movie.

I thought this was the best movie of 2008! It was SO GOOD! Granted I had some movies that I went to and watched over and over again, this one I only watched once but once I watched it I knew it would be a timeless classic. Don't rent this movie! Just buy it! It's SO GOOD!

Buy The Secret Life of Bees (2008) Now

Excellent movie. Almost perfect version of the book. I was expecting a PG though but still it's a great movie. For me one of the best movies of 2008.

Read Best Reviews of The Secret Life of Bees (2008) Here

The Secret Life of Bees staring Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Sophie Okenedo and Alecia Keys..set in the 1960's in the south is about a young teenage girl (who happens to be white) who, in search of understanding and peace from an abusive father leaves her home with her nanny (played by Jennifer Hudson) to a town in Virginia where a local honey producer and entrepreneur(played by Queen Latifah)takes them in. I dont want to give away too much of the story,so I wont get into too many specifics. I loved this film! As an African American woman, its never easy to see remnants of a time that I often wished weren't true, but even in the midst of thecliche like moments of that "racialy charged situation" that always occurs in period pieces about the segregated south, arose another more poignant tale of courage,determination,forgiveness, acceptance and most importantly love!

Dakota Fanning still continues to intrigue me. She has this been-here-beforeness that is, to me, fascinating and I love watching her grow into a woman. Queen Latifah, who I have actually seen grown into a woman (from afar of course) has this calming spirit throughout the film that made this viewer feel at home whenever she spoke. Alecia Keys character was harder to warm up to but just as equally touched by her gradual (if inevitable) transformations. And the character of June played by Soke Okenedo was done brilliantly.

Money well spent! Thanks Amazon!

Want The Secret Life of Bees (2008) Discount?

I bought and watched this film based on the strong recommendation of a friend. My wife and I both loved this movie. It is a slippery slope sometimes in telling a tale about the civil rights era, to not seem condescending or self righteous and still show the social evil of what some Americans held as justified truths and actions.

"The Secret Life of Bees" is one of those rare stories that shows the lines of prejudice go both ways and also the lines of goodness and kindness. "The Secret Life of Bees" is not so much a story about black and white people in the south in the `60s, as it is a story about love and redemption set with a backdrop of changing social mores of the civil rights movement.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the performances in this film by all the major players are for all measurable purposes flawless. Alicia Keyes was a surprise (it shouldn't have been) as the "Angry Black Intellectual Woman" and Latifa was wonderful as the matriarchal sister who brings wisdom and peace to several tortured souls. Dakota Fanning, shows that changing from a child to a teen doesn't take away from the fact that she is one of the hardest working and most effective actresses in the business.

If you are in the mood for an excellent drama "The Secret Life of Bees" is a treasure.

The only watch out is there is some fairly violent hate crimes against a woman (Jennifer Hudson), as well as other violent acts which may make this inappropriate for pre-teens as well as some rough laguage.

Save 50% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment