Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sweeney Todd / Sleepy Hollow (Two-Pack)

Sweeney Todd / Sleepy HollowThese two movies give Johnny Depp a great opportunity to show his acting range, and he doesn't disappoint.

"Sleepy Hollow" is perhaps the definitive film version of this well-known tale, though it is not for the faint-of-heart. It gets pretty gory, what with the Headless Horseman out and about his business. We tend to watch this film around Halloween...then see if we can get over its ghastly images by Xmas.

I saw "Sweeney Todd" on Broadway with Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury and Victor Garber many years ago. Cariou and Lansbury were spectacular. Garber, not so much Sondheim's music for the male ingenue role is pretty ungracious, and neither Garber nor Jamie Campbell Bower in this film version has any success negotiating the vocal writing.

Depp's film Sweeney is a great deal more-frightening and disturbed than what I saw on B'way. That's possible in large part because he doesn't have to project his singing voice and stage persona into a live theatrical space (truth is Depp's singing voice wouldn't project well into the open space of a typical B'way theater without major amplification). That makes for a more-intimate, more-human portrayal, and it's fairly disturbing. The rest of the cast is good as well.

Both films were directed by Tim Burton who seems to get the best out of Depp. The "By The Sea" sequence in Sweeney is particularly touching in fleshing out the human sides of Todd and Mrs Lovett that might have been in a way that just isn't possible in the staged version.

If you want to enjoy Sweeney as a disturbed horror flick, get this version. If your main interest is hearing the music, get the 1982 "Tribute" version with Lansbury and George Hearn.

Recommended (the price is certainly right I paid only $10.86 with tax for both movies!), but not for the squeamish.

Very pleased with the purchase, both movies are my favorites for johnny, so the opportunity to get both for the price of one was a good deal.

Buy Sweeney Todd / Sleepy Hollow (Two-Pack) Now

I originally bought these movies because they were cheap, and I just wanted to test my new Blu-Ray player. I was already a fan of Depp, so I figured that I would give them a shot. Both movies were very enjoyable to me. They didn't help me test my Blu-Ray though, because they were kind of dark. LOL

Read Best Reviews of Sweeney Todd / Sleepy Hollow (Two-Pack) Here

This is just great I love jhonny depp's movies, especially the one's with tim burton so I was more than happy when they arrive and ready to popcorns hahaha. Don't miss it and buy them now.

Want Sweeney Todd / Sleepy Hollow (Two-Pack) Discount?

I originally was only looking for Sweeney Todd but I was this set and decided to get it since it was the same price as Sweeney on it's own. So it was like buying 1 movie and getting 1 free.

As for the movies, the picture quality and sound are fanstastic!

Save 10% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment